In My Printing Apron

debbie little wilson

Tag Archives: mary campbell

The Salina Project…. FINISHED….

Well I did it….. I finished the edition…. Here is what 250 etchings looks like…. well with a piece of foamcore separating each group of 50….

250 solar etching

close up

So they are now packed in the box to ship them to Salina Kansas tomorrow.  And then on to monoprinting….. woo hoo…

Advertisements

“And Mary Campbell led the Band”…. coloring

I deliberated yesterday on how to color this etching and finally I came up with how to do it. Generally, I used some of the same colors of the hand tinted photo. They just seemed to work…. 

colored version

 

 I use Prismacolor pencils and after I spot color, I take cotton swabs dipped in turpenoid and dab at the area to tear down the color . It blends into the paper . There are a few spots of color that I don’t touch to keep the color on top of the paper and look more bright. 

applying the turpenoid

Here are a few of my stacks… I estimate it will take me at least 20 hours to completely color and sign my whole edition…

a couple of stacks

The Salina Project… Second Test…

I think I got it… this second plate is much better… after adjusting and reworking the band instruments some, I got my detail back and I am much happier with the look of the image and the plate is a beauty. I am much relieved.

the second plate

Again, you may not be able to see the changes on this one but they are there.  Now, how many of these do I print???? OMG… now I am off to print 250 of these… wish me luck.. I am going to cut up the paper that I have and start printing that and wait for the rest of my paper and ink to get here… Okay… I can do this… I have to get back to work….

 

The Salina Project…. First Printing…

Well, I got down here to the studio early because I am excited to start this Project. I already have on my apron… that is a good start… my apron is on before noon… LOL

I had to trim up my plate first …

Before...

After

Now that the plate is trimmed it is ready to begin printing…

I have the paper soaking in a vat of water to soften the fibers so that they will bend into the lines and dips in the plate to pick up the ink…

I need to prepare the ink. For this etching, I want to use a sepia color but I would like it darker.. I will be using Graphic Chemical ink.. Sepia and Intense Black and some Easy Wipe…. Since I am going to be printing 250 etchings, I will need to be mindful of my mixing so that they will all turn out the same color….

The Salina Project

Well, I had to set my “starts” aside so that I could get knee deep into my Salina Project.

I was commissioned by the Salina Arts and Humanities Commission  in Salina, Kansas to produce an edition of 250 etchings for them to give to their donors. I have been working with Karla Prickett who is the community art and design coordinator to come up with an image of an interesting woman (since my subjects are usually women). We decided on a woman named Mary Campbell. She is a daughter of one of the founding fathers of Salina. She was quite fascinating and there were some killer photographs of Mary doing everything from swimming, skating, rifle shooting and music.

We decided on a photo of her conducting a small band of children on the porch of her house. Mainly because of it’s relevance to the arts…I love this photo..And after reading about her and looking at all the photos, I love Mary ( so does Karla)…. Anyway, so I played around with it and superimposed a journal entry probably made by her mother of Mary’s accomplishments.  This image that I am going to make into a Solar plate etching……

Mary Campbell..... leader of the band

I have to make a transparency first so that I can make the solar plate…..

Guess that means that I have to go put on my Apron……

Okay so I have made a plate ….. I put the transparency of the image on the solar plate, covered it with my light box and exposed it to the light. Then I submerged the plate in warm water to wash out the photo emulsion that didn’t harden by the light.

Here is a photo of the plate… it is a little hard to see right now but it will be easier to see once I ink the plate… I will do that tomorrow…

exposed solar plate